Negotiations with Salem Health
***UPDATED NOV. 9, 2018***
To Our Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon Members,
We work with hospitals, medical groups and other providers to control costs and ensure high-quality care for you, our members. We take this job seriously and do our best to never put you in the middle.
Holding the line against expensive care
Salem Health is already more expensive than other in-network, local facilities. Historically they’ve demanded five times more than other local providers receive on average. Now, they are demanding an additional double-digit increase over the next two years. Overall, our members in Marion and Polk counties would see their health care costs rise by almost 30% from 2016 levels if these demands are met. As your advocate for high quality and affordable care, we are holding the line.
Despite our concerted efforts, Salem Health has been unwilling to negotiate fair terms and continues to demand a significant increase in what we pay them for your care. As a result, Salem Health Professional Services (SHPS)—a group of medical professionals separate from the hospital—remains out of network for Regence members. We will continue to support our members and ensure they receive uninterrupted, high-quality care.
For members who visit Salem Health
- While we continue to work toward reaching a new agreement that best serves our members and helps control costs, SHPS remains out of network for Regence members.
- Regence members may continue to use in-network benefits with Salem Health hospitals through at least June 30, 2019, while negotiations continue. This includes Salem Health and Salem Health West Valley.
- For Medicare, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) provide additional protections from balance billing, so we can continue covering in-network benefits for our Medicare Advantage members through Dec. 31, 2019.
- Regence contracts with other local, in-network providers who share our commitment to affordable care.
- Our Customer Service team is ready to help and connect you with resources so you receive uninterrupted care and coverage from other in-network providers.
- To learn more about your options for high-quality, affordable care, call us at the number on the back of your Regence member ID card or visit regence.com. We are here to help connect you to the care you need, close to home.
We will update this page as negotiations with Salem Health continue. Thank you for your support.