10 ways to improve your health in the new year
January 10, 2023
If your New Year’s resolutions include a goal to improve your health in 2023, here are 10 things you can do this year with a little help from Regence:
- Select a primary care provider if you haven’t yet. Having a doctor established now makes it easy to get care when you need it. It can take a while to get in for an initial appointment, so schedule it right away. If you need help finding an in-network primary care provider, try our find a doctor tool or call the number on the back of your member ID card.
- Get an annual wellness visit with your primary care provider, which is covered by most Regence plans with no out-of-pocket costs. Your doctor can assess your overall health and give you guidance on how to improve. This baseline can be very helpful as you plan health, fitness and weight loss goals for the year.
- Take care of your mental health. Make self-care a priority. If you’re struggling and need help, most Regence plans cover a variety of mental health care services and resources, such as one-on-one counseling, group therapy, medication, as well as self-guided well-being tools and virtual care options. If you have questions about your mental health benefits or need help finding a provider, sign in to your account to chat online or call us at the number on the back of your member ID card.
- Get all your age-appropriate recommended health screenings, such as screenings for breast, cervical, colorectal, lung and prostate cancers. Most screenings are covered with no out-of-pocket costs if you meet criteria. Talk to your doctor about which screenings you should get this year and sign in to your account on regence.com to learn more about your coverage. It may take a few months to get in for some screenings, so get them scheduled early.
- Get vaccinated. Getting all your age-appropriate recommended vaccinations will help you avoid illness so you can focus on improving your health. Most vaccinations are covered with no out-of-pocket costs if you meet criteria. Some vaccinations, like the flu shot, are covered annually. COVID-19 cases are rising right now, so consider getting the new bivalent COVID vaccine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for help deciding which vaccinations you should get.
- Stop using tobacco. Most Regence health plans cover up to eight face-to-face tobacco use cessation counseling visits during a 12-month period to help you kick the habit. Learn more on regence.com.
- Participate in a wellness program. Many employer groups insured by Regence offer a wellness program that provides incentives like gift cards and cash for participation. Programs invite you complete a health assessment, then provide personalized programs and activities that can help you reach your self-identified goals. Check your account on regence.com to learn what’s available to you.
- Download and use the Regence Empower app. The free app can be used to track your progress as part of your employer wellness program, but you can use it even if you’re not part of an employer plan. The app can help you track your progress on things like sleep, stress, food and exercise. You can also use it to participate in health challenges and find links to podcasts and helpful health-related information. Download it from the app store. Learn more on regence.com.
- Familiarize yourself with all the care options covered by your health plan. Make sure you know when you should head to the emergency room versus an urgent care or your doctor’s office, versus the virtual care and telehealth options available with your Regence plan. Knowing the difference could save you time and money, and it’s better to figure it out now instead of when you’re sick.
- Consider nutrition counseling. Most Regence plans cover one-on-one nutrition counseling with a dietitian to help you improve your diet. The counseling can be especially helpful if you have certain medical conditions, such as diabetes or renal kidney disease. Benefits vary by plan and can depend on applicable state or federal mandates. To learn what’s available for you, sign in to your account to chat online or call us at the number on the back of your member ID card.
Log in to your account at regence.com or call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about all your insurance coverage.