Simple, sustainable habits can improve your health
Regence shares helpful tips for exercise, nutrition, and more as part of Men’s Health Week
Most people know that eating right and exercising are essential for staying fit and a healthy lifestyle. The challenge for many is developing simple and sustainable habits that fit into busy lives.
During Men’s Health Week, Regence safety and wellness consultant, Allie Henderson, shares some tips that men can use to improve overall fitness levels and heart health.
For example, did you know that multiple, 10-minute sessions of moderate-intensity exercise are as effective as a 30-minute workout? Physical activity more often throughout the day is an added benefit! Another healthy living tip is that deep breathing or mindful movement like walking meditation can immediately reduce blood pressure. Just a few minutes a day helps to decrease our stress hormone, cortisol, which wreaks havoc on our bodies when we are constantly in high-stress mode.
Allie’s Top Five Tips
- Exercise for 30 minutes daily, 5 days a week—even broken down to three 10-minute sessions.
- Look ahead; schedule workouts on your calendar and commit to your plan
- Listen to your body; find a sustainable diet that makes you feel the best
- Choose water to drink! Sugar in food and drinks contributes to heart disease
- Monitor blood pressure to prevent heart failure in the future