Zipcar partnership is the latest addition to a sustainability program that also includes commute reimbursement program and bike community
(Portland, OR) – As part of its long-term commitment to sustainability, Regence is now offering membership and discounts for Zipcar to its employees in Seattle and Portland. Regence’s decision to join the car-sharing service is one of many initiatives the company has undertaken to become a more efficient and streamlined organization and contribute to a healthier community.
Zipcar is a national (and international) car-sharing service that provides on-demand access to fuel-efficient cars in major cities. Regence employees will benefit from this alternative transportation option with no application fee, a 50 percent reduction in the annual fee and reduced mileage rates. Employees who use Zipcar for business will have their mileage reimbursed by the company.
“Regence is committed to providing our employees with options that help them make sustainable choices at work. Zipcar’s flexibility and convenience makes it easy for our employees to reduce their impact on the environment, something many already do by biking to work or using our commute reimbursement program,” said Dan Medin, director of Sustainability for Regence. “Even employees who bike to work or who use Regence’s commute reimbursement program can still use Zipcar to drive to meetings and appointments.”
As more cars are taken off the road, the benefits to the environment (and to the rush-hour congestion) are significant. By some estimates Zipcar members drive an average of 2,500 fewer miles per year than non-members, saving 219 gallons of gas per driver annually, and reducing CO2 emissions by 150 million pounds each year.
Regence’s participation is one of several initiatives the company has undertaken to drive environmental, social and economic change for the company and its members. Other activities include:
- Micro-site on the company’s intranet that includes resources, information and tools to help support employees in making sustainable choices.
- Mandatory double-sided and draft mode printing on all company printers.
- Automated process now places PCs and laptops into low-power mode at night.
- Current pilot programs in place to train our employees to focus on driving sustainability and wellness activities in their departments.
- Numerous facility related upgrades targeted at energy efficiency.
- Increased focus on recycling and waste disposal.
- Commute reimbursement programs provide subsidy to encourage use of mass transit.
- Grass-roots efforts have built a bike community of Regence employees, including an internal “task force,” regular newsletters, free bike safety and repair clinics and participation in local community events (e.g. Bike Commute Challenge).
About Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon is a leading health plan in Oregon, with nearly one million members, offering health, life and dental insurance. Regence is the largest health insurer in the Northwest / Intermountain Region, serving more than 2.5 million members as Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon, Regence BlueShield of Idaho, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah and Regence BlueShield (selected counties in Washington). Each plan is a nonprofit independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Regence is committed to improving the health of our members and our communities, and to transforming our health care system. For more information, please visit www.regence.com or www.twitter.com/RegenceOregon